Talk to your landlord or building manager about your concerns and provide him/her with a copy of your radon test result. If he/she is not familiar with radon, show him/her Health Canada’s information on radon health risks and related guidance on how to reduce radon levels. At present, there is no legal requirement for a landlord to take action on radon, even if the levels are above the Health Canada guideline of 200 bq/m3. Nevertheless, you should request that action be taken. In the meantime, there are some things you can do that may help reduce exposures and risks, such as reducing the amount of time that you and your children spend in basement rooms, opening windows more frequently and ensuring that no one smokes inside your apartment. For more guidance, see Information for Tenants on CPCHE’s Renovate Right webpage or the Canadian Environmental Law Association’s FAQ on this topic.

Answer Author: 
Erica Phipps
Answer Author's Email: