Being exposed long-term to high levels of radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from rock and soil. It can enter homes and other buildings and build up to harmful levels. Being exposed long-term to high levels of radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers.

You can’t see, taste or smell radon. To find out the level of radon in your home, child care program, school or workplace you have to test for it

Healthy Schools Day is April 3, 2018

This Healthy Schools Day, let’s protect children and staff from a known cancer risk. Let’s rule out radon.

We call on governments across Canada to ensure students and staff in schools and child care environments are protected from this well-known and preventable cancer risk.

  •  Long-term exposure to high levels of radon causes lung cancer.
  •  Schools and child care environments can have high levels of radon.
  •  Children and staff should be protected from this preventable risk.

Rule out radon. Sign the petition.

https://healthyschoolsday.ca/petition-english/

Childcare Professionals

A person exposed long-term to high radon levels has a 1 in 20 chance of developing lung cancer. If there is also exposure to cigarette smoke, the risk of developing lung cancer increases to 1 in 3.

With some simple actions you can protect both the children in your care and yourself.

What You Can Do